Friday, June 14, 2013

A dedication to Karissa!


When we got to the house the team has been building in Ahuachpan the ladies worked to furnish the house with the beds, colorful bedding, a rockin chair, cooking supplies, a table and chairs and some wall art while the men worked on making a ramp for the little girl. The house was buzzing with excitement. It felt like an episode of Extreme Home Makeover! The whole time we decorated, little Karissa was smiling from ear to ear.

When we dedicated the house, the mother prayed for US. She thanked us and God for the house. Even though the house is modest by American standards, she was extremely grateful. She told us how God sent us to build the house for her. I really do believe that God sent us, which is crazy because I often forget that I can make a difference in lives of others. I'm only 16 but God uses everyone for His plans.



We set out in groups to bring beans, rice and soup to the community. The bags were pretty heavy and we carried three or four bags each. It occurred to me that the bags we caried are like the burdens of the people (malnutrition, sickness, abuse...). When we give the bags to the people the burden of their weight is lightened on our backs and their burdens are lightened because God blesses them by the blessing of the food.

Towards the end we had one bag left. We prayed that God would show us who to take it to. We ended up giving  the bag to a widowed lady. Her husband was a Decon in the church and passed away exactly a year ago. Although she has 9 grown children she has no one to take care of her. The church refused to help her because she has so many children, but they can't care for her because they have kids of their own. God sent us to her because she needed help. Her husband died and life has worn her down but God didn't forget about her. It is such a blessing to be part of His plan!

Later we went to an orphanage called Marillac for older girls. We danced to Ganum style and made prayer notebooks. It always surprises me that the Salvadorian orphans know Ganum style!! I met a really outgoing sweet girl who is 16 like me. As soon as I got there she  introduced herself and told me I look just like Taylor Swift! I could tell we could be great friends. Kurt told me that she had been abused before and as a result she has anxiety attacks. This is crazy to me. She is just a young girl like me but has endured so much pain. I know that God will take care of my new friend. She is His beautiful creation that He loves. I pray that He will bless her and she will come to know Him. 

Being in El Salvador I come to realize how big God is. He is powerful and loving. He can bring 9 crazy Americans together at just the right time to build a house that changes the lives of its ocupants. I feel extremely blessed that He has given me so much and has allowed me to visit El Salvador. I am helping with a small part of His 
grand amazing puzzle which touches my heart. 

-Lily Douthitt

No comments:

Post a Comment