Monday, October 1, 2012

The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock! - Monday




Revelation 2:2
I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance.

"But you, dear friends, by building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life. In this way, you will keep yourselves safe in God's love." - Jude 1:20-21
 
 

 
Today was an busy day! We started on the house, which happened to be in a fairly remote location. The  trip up to where the house was located was beautiful. It honestly was one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. On the way to the site that the house would be built there was an overwhelming flood of emotions. God was going to be the one to get us through the day!
 
Once we arrived at the village where the house was going to be built we then had to walk up to the site. Getting up the side of a mountain, through a small gully like area, and then back up again was an interesting trail to walk when carry supplies. It was exhausting and so very humbling. People from the village saw what we were doing and joined in. Most of those helping us had no shoes, and some had no shirts. They were hard workers though, not stopping until all the work was completed and everything was as it should be.
 
Once the supplies were at the site of the future house we ate quick lunch with the family and started building. Then men and translators where the main ones to build, while the women entertained the family and kept them out of the way. They are incredibly hard workers. Today alone the floors got to put together along with all the walls.
The women played soccer with the kids, painted nails, and went over bible stories, spoke of Jesus, and sang. The children are beautiful and have boundless energy.
It did end up raining at the end of the day yesterday, which provided for an interesting journey down the mountain. God provided for us and we all made it safely back to the van. 
 
"My first day in El Salvador started off pretty calm. We got up, got ready for church and headed out. I found it kind of hard to concentrate on what the preacher was saying, between the preacher in a microphone, and our translator telling us everything.  It was hard to understand. I really loved watching how the people at church were so open and not ashamed to praise God.   At home, so many times, we are embarrassed or uncomfortable to raise our hands, or say amen, or anything that we feel like doing.  But here, they don't care,   They have so much less than me, but they are obviously so much more grateful.

 
Sunday night, I was in in the first group to go feed the homeless. The group was prepared, with approximately 150 sacked lunches, but later on I realized I wasn't at all prepared for what I was about to see. I think we might have drove a mile, when we seen the first homeless people.  As soon as it happened, tears just started to fall uncontrollably. They don't have shoes, shirts, NOTHING.  I have so many clothes, more than I even wear. And these people probably only have the clothes that they have on!  We continued driving and every time we saw someone sleeping on the sidewalk, we would stop and give them food.  I can't even type out all the things that you feel.  It's indescribable.  The most humbling experience I have ever had.
 
 I'm so thankful I've been given this opportunity. That was only the first full day and I was so overwhelmed with emotions.
 
Maybe 7 is not enough!
 
Today we started to build the house, and when I say "we",  I mean the men and translators.   They worked SO hard.   We had to carry the lumber up a huge hill.   It was seriously the most exhausting thing I have ever had to do. I could barely make it.   Everybody was soaked with sweat, and panting every step.   There were men and one young girl from that village, that were such hard workers, they never complained.  Never stopped for breaks, never even really broke a sweat. I personally was put to shame. The men ended up getting all the floor done, and most of the walls made, they just need to be put together.  So all their hard work paid off. Tomorrow morning we will go back and finish the house, and give the members of the family new clothes.

I Will Follow YOU!  (even if it means on a plane, then a bus, through
a ravine,  and up a mountain, in the mud)!

 

So far I've enjoyed my self so much. I'm already ready to sign up for the next trip.  God is so good, and I'm so thankful that he has shown himself to me like never before. It's truly amazing here."- Lindsey
 
It is a very humbling experience to help build a house. The glory completely needs to be given to God for all that was completed yesterday. God is doing awesome things this week and in El Salvador. We just continue to ask for prayers as the week goes on.

Acts 20:35
In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ”
 







No comments:

Post a Comment