Saturday, February 18, 2017

Carlitos


2-18-17
Shelby Sokolik 

Today was a very successful day! We left the mission house at 7am and drove to Ahuachapán, a village about an hour and a half from the mission house, also the village where we built the house on Friday. We arrived in an open field in the middle of the community. The team set up different stations for the children. They were filled with tattoos and stickers for the kids, we handed out popcorn and snow cones, we even had bouncy houses for all the kids to enjoy, and believe me, they did!! Throughout the day I walked around the field watching all the kids, I didn't have a specific job. My only job was to watch Carlitos, he lived next to the family we built the house for. He was the youngest of four boys. All of the brothers were at the festival, but their parents were not. The older brothers wanted to play soccer with the other kids but they had to watch Carlo. They asked me to watch him and of course I said yes. I had spent quite some time with Carlitos the previous day, so they trusted me with him. We sat by a tree watching his brothers and eating snow cones. He eventually fell asleep in my arms. At 1pm our team left to go and dedicate the home to the family receiving it. They were extremely gracious for our work and were so so excited to make it their new home. Just after the ceremony
Carlitos came to me and gave me a hug, at this time we had to pack our things and head back. I gave Carlitos one last hug and he whispered to me "Te amo" this means "I love you" in Spanish. Those were the first and only words Carlitos had spoken to anyone in the two days we were in his village. I've never felt anything like that before, it was the most heart warming experience in my life, thus far. I already miss my little angel and his brothers but I know I will see them again soon. This trip has been such a blessing to me and my team. We are so so grateful for this opportunity!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment