Saturday, March 10, 2018

Oh what childlike fun...

Today when I woke up and began to get ready for the days activities, I was very nervous. Mainly because I had never really spent time with special needs children and adults. Of course I had seen them before back at home, but I had never taken the time to get to know them or spent time with them. So today, when we arrived at San Martin, I was not scared, but I was a little hesitant.  
The looks on their faces when they saw us was priceless. They yelled, gave hugs, shock hands, and introduced themselves more than once. We danced, painted nails, and sang together. Because they were happy, I was happy.  Their happiness was pure joy. It honestly reminded me of heaven.  Laughing, dancing, and smiling! - Maya Robinson
Last night, our assembly line worked flawlessly as we packed sandwich bags to give out to the homeless. We loaded into a truck and piled in the back. Giving out the food to the homeless throughout el salvador was a humbling experience. Some reacted differently than others though. Some cried and were emotional over it while others were happy and joyful to disperse the bags. It was a great way to kick off the trip and the team definitely enjoyed it.

What a day! We started the day off right with a good breakfast and a nice little workout! While it might have not been a traditional workout, we did some heavy lifting as we loaded up the house we plan to build on Sunday. 
After, we went to San Martin's home for special needs adults in San Salvador. This was an experience I don't think any of us could forget. 
We spent Friday afternoon at Guirola, a Special Needs Center for kids under 18. We played games, spun fidget spinners, a big hit among the kids, and danced. After all the fun the kids returned to their rooms. We split up as some of us helped feed the kids and others passed out treat bags to the kids. This concluded a wonderful day that we all greatly enjoyed. - Andrew Katz


No comments:

Post a Comment