Sunday, February 17, 2019

Saturday - MCHS in El Salvador


Taylor Puckett

Today we had the opportunity to play and excite kids that will remember this day for days, months, or even years. I am over joyed that I get to make an impact on a child in such a big way. 


I painted many Mickey mouses and butterflies on beautiful faces and hands. The smiles and laughter made everything worth it.





After the festival, we were able to donate food items such as sugar, rice, beans, and spaghetti noodles. All of the recipients of the food were very gracious. They repeatedly thanked us and blessed us. We prayed over their family and the food given. The love of the Lord and his word shined through the whole day, especially the moment when we were able to hand them a bible of their very own. This day is one that will stay with me for the rest of my life. The opportunities to give love and happiness to people who are so thankful for the work we, McCracken County High School, got to do. May God always be with these wonderful people, and let his word lead them into their later years.





Lilly swanz 
At the beginning of the festival in Ahuachapan, I didn’t think much of the “work” we were doing. Playing sports and blowing bubbles with cute kids would be my dream job, so it didn’t feel like work. It wasn’t until we handed out donations and delivered food to the community that I realized how much of an impact we were making. The desperation in parents who would try to get more than one pair of flip-flops that may not even fit their children was heartbreaking. When this thought crossed my mind, I truly grasped the need in the community. For nine years, Starfish has been working towards meeting that need through this festival. The impact it has made was evident in the fact that each of the families remembered the festival in previous years. In one house when delivering food, the mother told us that her children look forward to the festival each year. She described it as a time of celebration for their community. The children who were playing in the community where we delivered food recognized us from the festival.

They ran up to us with smiles. Although they were shouting words I didn’t quite understand, I understood a young boy named Javier who called my name. He had remembered me specifically from the festival because we played with frisbees and bubbles. He showed me the toy car that he got from our donations. The pure joy on this boy’s face made clear the impact that we had made and that Starfish will continue to make in years to come.

















No comments:

Post a Comment