Thursday, February 16, 2017

The joy you can't imagine...

                                             

Today was an experience unlike any other. I had the opportunity to see people through God's eyes and realize how great of a life I truly get to live. As soon as I woke up this morning, I knew what the day had in store for the team and I was going to be a total surprise, and we'd just have to take it on with open arms. Most of us, me included, have never shared an experience like this one in our lives, and I am beyond blessed to say that I have. 


     Our first stop for the day was a special needs facility for adults called San Martin. This experience was jammed packed full of dancing, face painting, balloon animals, laughter, and much more. Putting a single sticker on their faces or making turtle balloon bracelets would give them a smile that would last a lifetime. I was personally moved by the ones that couldn't do much but when you smiled at them they gave their biggest smile back. It meant so much to be able to make someone genuinely happy without words. 


     We also made a stop to a children's special needs orphanage called Guirola. I think I made a best friend or two here today. I met the most amazing little girl who could give you the sweetest laugh just by doing the smallest things. We would toss a ball back and forth and then she would hit me with it to make me laugh. She kept that same ball throughout the day and it would be our little thing to hit one another with it to see who could get the biggest laugh.

                                              

     That sound of true joy and laughter is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life. Today made me truly understand how precious this life God gave us is and how great of an experience it is to share my gifts with those who aren't able.

Today was an emotional one for me and one that will always hold a dear place in my heart.  

                               -Chanyng Floyd
                                                                                                 

Our first full day of service was 10 times better than expected. It was full of dancing, laughter, and games. I had a personal experience with a man named Luis. He had to be in his later 40's, I couldn't figure out due to the fact that he didn't say a word the entire time... He only smiled and held my hand. I will never forget how it felt to be standing in the courtyard of San Martin (adult special needs orphanage) listening to one of the younger patients pray and thank God for sending the "americanos" and that their doors are always open. Even though they thanked us and praised God, I truly believe that going to San Martin was a blessing to me.

 I was then humbled once again visiting Guirola (children special needs orphanage) when a little girl who couldn't speak, grabbed my hand and pulled me to the dance floor. She wrapped her arms around me and rocked back and forth. It was one of those moments I wish I could relive everyday. The adults and kids have been one of the biggest blessings, and I will never forget what it felt like to be wrapped up in those moments. 
- Kendall Mclean 



No comments:

Post a Comment